Tuesday, January 3, 2017

Searching for Genuine, Undeniable Happness

I have seen “new year, new me” posted on Facebook about eleventy-billion times already. Girls and guys alike talking about the completely ridiculous new diet/exercise plan they will be attempting, a vow to spend more time with friends and family, or finally take the vacation they deserve so much *rolls eyes*. Mostly I’ve kept scrolling and ignored it (but mentally noted to see how these resolutions were doing on February 1st).

Now, I HAVE been doing a bit of reading in the self-help section. Starting with Natalie Lue’s Mr. Unavailable and The Fallback Girl, promptly followed by Steve Harvey’s Act Like a Lady, Think Like a Man. Consequently, a few things have became abundantly clear to me at the end of 2016.

1. I AM A FALLBACK GIRL.
2. I have all the romantic fantasies of a small town Oklahoma girl.
3. What I have been doing IS NOT WORKING.
4. Knowledge is power.
5. The only person I can change is myself.


So, instead of ignoring the 2017 resolutions berating my Facebook news feed, I am going to make some of my own. Now of course as a southern belle who loves cornbread and my best friends Red Beans n Rice I seriously need to lose some weight...but let’s be real. I’ve needed to give up carbs, wine, and Ding Dongs for a while now, hasn't happened yet. So instead of beating a dead horse I am going to come at this resolution thing from a different angle.


Get ready y’all. My 2017 new year resolution *three days late* is…


To be genuinely, and undeniably happy with MYSELF by the end of this year.


I don't know how I am going to do it, I don't really know where to start or how to get there, but I am committed to actively searching out happiness in every aspect of life. I am committed to stop sitting in the passenger seat and watching everyone around me find happiness while I wonder what I am doing wrong. Sitting around and wondering what I am doing wrong IS NOT the same as taking action to figure out what makes ME HAPPY! So for the first time in my 25 years, this down home darlin' is gonna take the wheel, and blaze a new trail.



No comments:

Post a Comment